Friday 4 March 2011

My reflection on Learning Stlyes quiz.

My interpretation of Felder and Soloman: Learning Styles and Strategies after taking the quiz were relatively correct about the way in which I learn.  My score of 11 showed a remarkable dominance to cementing the fact that I am an active learner.   I love group work  and relish in discussing topics and my views of opinions with other people and bouncing ideas around to understand the complete content of the topic. 
My moderate preference with a score of 5 was a sensing learner.   I do really like factual information and like solving problems and being prepared with content in my brain before exams or assessments but I also feel I have some intuitive learning traits as well . 
The next category visual and verbal learners really surprised me as I have always believed myself to be a very visual learner.  My results showed a score of 1 in favour of being a verbal learner but I do understand that this means I have a balance of both learning styles.  When I actually read about verbal learners I identified with some of the traits of being a verbal learner.  I certainly like working in a group and I thrive on classmate discussions – this make my understanding of content even more positive.
My last learning style was sequential or global learners.  My results showed that I am a global leaner with a score of 3.  Again I am well balanced between both learning styles but I can identify more with being a global learner.  I like to absorb all the information, sometimes not understanding it at first and then suddenly it all makes sense.  A bit like this course.....
I really enjoyed participating in the quiz.  I found it to be beneficial in understanding more about the way in which I learn and it now helps me identify some of my strengths and weaknesses regarding the way in which I learn effectively.  This questionnaire is a great tool for students as I feel when you are analysing yourself critical reflection in very important on any journey.
For more information about learning styles or to take the test, click on:Learning Style Page. http://www.engr.ncsu.edu/learningstyles/ilsweb.html


The sorts of learning experiences which would best suit my learning ability would be group discussion and forums. I am very hands on so I learn by participating both verbally and physically. I like to be involved in discussions and I remember the information shared by involvement and relating the text to life situations. 
Teaching students correctly is a very complex tool.  By researching all the different learning styles I now know to teach children positively and successfully you need to be aware of each child's learning style.  I would use a variety of techniques for all types of learners.  Each lesson plan would have a variety of ways in which to funnel the information to the students.  I would concentrate on visual stimuli such as maps, diagrams, props and demonstrations for the visual learners as well as preparing the reflective learners by giving them enough time to digest the content before engaging with the class.  I would encourage active participation and incorporate group discussions as well as time to participate individually for the active and reflective learners.  To cater for both sensing and intuitive I would  state the facts and link it to real life but would also allow participation to discover connections and solutions for ones self.  Global learners need an overview which I can relate to.  I like to know the content and then emerge my self so that my understanding is complete whereas sequential learners tend to learn step by step in order.  
My design and digital pedagogy could support my students by allowing the same information to be given but by using different techniques.  I would be teaching by speaking, using visual aid and different ways of engaging students with factual data, group discussions and independent learning.  In order to understand my students I would develop a series of questions which would help me identify with my students learning styles.  Depending on the age of the students I would definitely ask them to participate in the quiz for further learning style development.  My person questions would be:
  • Do you learn by reading, listening, watching or participating?
  • What is your favourite subject?
  • Do you like Maths or English or both?
  • What do you like to do in your spare time?
  • How would your best friend describe you?
  • Are you shy or very social?
  • Do you like reading or watching TV?
  • Are you very routine or easy going?
  • Do you like fact or fiction?
  • How do you absorb information?
  • Do you like to work by yourself or in a group?
Learning for children is all about engaging them and finding a link which makes them excited to be involved in the learning process.  ICT is now that link for children because it is based on the 21st century learning and children respond to technology.  ICT supports all levels and abilities of learning styles by allowing the learner to work at their own pace, be flexible, be supported, work independently or work utilising group forums and networks.  It is now up to all teachers to focus on successfully identifying what works for their students and focusing on the traits of their learning style and supporting their learning journey.



Reference: 










No comments:

Post a Comment